watchOS 5 is now available for Apple Watch Series 1 and above. The new update includes a smarter Siri watch face, improved Siri, Walkie-Talkie, Podcasts app, improved notifications and much more. This upgrade also marks the end of the road for the original Apple Watch, also known as Series 0, as it is not supported by watchOS 5.
What’s new in watchOS 5?
Here are some of the main features in watchOS 5:
- Siri watch face improvements – the watch face now uses machine learning to highlight the right information at the right time. It is also open to third party app developers now, which should make it more useful than ever.
- Smarter Siri – just like its iOS 12 counterpart, Siri on watchOS 5 now supports Siri Shortcuts, searches and answers more information, and works without saying Hey Siri.
- Walkie-Talkie – this is Apple’s latest attempt at rethinking wearable communication. As the name suggests, watchOS 5 compatible watch owners can send short voice messages to each other as if they are using walkie-talkies.
- Podcasts app – the podcasts app is finally available for Apple Watch. Users can search for and listen to podcasts, even on cellular watches.
- Notifications – like iOS 12, watchOS 5 supports grouped notifications and also allows more interactivity in notifications for third party developers. An improved Do Not Disturb mode allows setting distraction free periods for selected time intervals.
- Automatic workout detection – your watch will be able to detect when you started a workout and track your activity data. Great for those moments when you realize after a workout that you didn’t track it.
- Browse webpages – Series 3 and above can also browser webpages on their watch. Pages will open in Safari Reader by default to make them easy to view.
There are a lot more new features in this update. Read all about them in our coverage of watchOS 5 features.
Except Series 0, all newer Apple Watch models are supported. Apple Watch Series 4 will support some features in watchOS 5 that are not available to other existing watches: new watch faces with larger complications, fall detection and more.
Upgrade to watchOS 5
- Makes sure that your Apple Watch and iPhone are sufficiently charged and connected to the same WiFi network.
- On your iPhone, go to Watch > General > Software Update and wait for the update to appear.
- Once it shows up, tap Download and Install to start the process.
The process might take some time, depending on your Watch model and Internet connection speed.