The sixth developer beta for watchOS 5 is now available to developers. Here is how you can download and install the developer beta on your Apple Watch.
If you already have an existing watchOS 5 developer build on your Apple Watch, go to Watch app on your iPhone and head to General > Software Update to download the new build. If you do not have an existing beta installed, follow our guide below.
As with all watchOS beta releases, watchOS 5 is only available as a developer beta. A public beta is not available because there is no way to downgrade Apple Watch from a developer version to a stable version. In case something goes wrong, the Watch has to be taken to selected Apple Stores to be fixed. There is no recovery method for broken software updates or a DFU mode for DIY fixes, like there is for iPhone.
watchOS 5 will be released this fall with new features like an improved Siri watch face with support for third party apps, a new communication app called Walkie-Talkie, support for Siri Shortcuts, a new Podcasts App, improved notifications (like iOS 12) and much more.
Download watchOS 5 Developer Beta 6
To download and install watchOS 5, you need an Apple Developer Account. The account costs $99/month and lets you download the configuration profile that is required to install test builds. However, if you know where to look (hint: Reddit), you can download the profile without a developer account.
Before we start, please note:
- Your Apple Watch should be charged more than 50% and placed on the charger too
- Your iPhone should have enough battery to download the update
Onto the installation process now:
- Open Safari on your iPhone and login to your Apple Developer account.
- Head over to Downloads and scroll down till you find watchOS 5 beta.
- Tap on the blue Download button.
- You will get a pop-up which tells you that the website is trying to show a configuration profile. Tap Allow.
- When you see Choose a Device, tap on Apple Watch.
- On the next screen, tap install and enter your iPhone PIN code.
- After the profile is installed, go to Watch app > General > Software Update and wait for the developer update to show up. Tap Download and Install.
The installation might take a long time so don’t worry and let it complete. Once the installation is done, you should see the watchface appear on your Apple Watch.