Apple has released watchOS 5.3 beta 6 for developers. The new beta is available as an over-the-air update for Apple Watch Series 1 and above.
Apple previously released watchOS 5.2.1 and the only changes in it were the expansion of ECG in Apple Watch Series 4 to 5 new countries, as well as updated Pride watchface. While we expected that this would be the last update before WWDC, which starts on June 3, Apple surprised everyone with a new beta. Apple has also released iOS 12.4, tvOS 12.4 and macOS 10.14.6 betas.
This will definitely be the last update before watchOS 6, which is expected to ship with a built-in App Store, new watch faces and complications, support for Animojis, new Books and calculator apps and much more.
watchOS 5.3 beta 6
This new beta was released on July 16 and build number is
watchOS 5.3 beta 5
The 5th beta was released on July 8 and its build number is 16U5566a. No new changes in release notes from Apple.
watchOS 5.3 beta 4
Beta 4 was released on June 24 and its build number is 16U5558b.
watchOS 5.3 beta 3
Beta 3 was released on June 11. Build number is 16U5545c. Nothing new in the release notes.
watchOS 5.3 beta 2
The second beta was released on May 28 and the build number is 16U5537b. Apple’s release notes mention the below issues and its workaround:
Devices running watchOS 5.3 beta don’t appear as available for development in Xcode 10.2.1. (50638444) Workaround: Run the following command in Terminal:
defaults write com.apple.dt.Xcode Enable43515398 -bool YES
watchOS 5.3 beta
The first beta was released on May 15 and the build number is 16U5526f. Apple has not shared any release notes for this update.
We will update this post as we find new changes.
Installing watchOS 5.3 beta
To install watchOS 5.3 beta, you must be a registered Apple Developer. The membership costs $99/year. This membership gives you access to the profile that you would need to download and install on your Apple Watch, via your iPhone.
Note the following before installing:
- You cannot downgrade from a beta build to a non-beta build on Apple Watch.
- If you Apple Watch is bricked somehow due to a bug in a beta watchOS build, you cannot restore your Apple Watch yourself. You will have to take it to an Apple Store.
Here are the installation steps:
- To download and install the profile, open the Apple Developer Center website on your iPhone and go to downloads. Look for watchOS 5.3 and download its profile.
- When your iPhone asks where you want to install the profile, select Apple Watch.
- After installation, your Apple Watch will be eligible to receive beta updates, which you can install by going to Watch app > General > Software Update