Apple has released watchOS 5.2.1 beta 2 for developers. The beta is available now to developers to install on Apple Watch Series 1 and above. This update contains under-the-hood changes as Apple has not even shared any release notes for it.
Apple had recently released watchOS 5.2 which expanded support for the ECG (electrocardiogram) app and irregular heart rhythm notifications to more regions. These health features had initially launched in United States are now available in 23 countries and regions around the world. Apple had also included support for second-generation AirPods and real-time text for phone calls in this update.
Note: ECG app is only support on Apple Watch Series 4 while irregular heart rhythm notifications are supported on Apple Watch Series 1 and above.
watchOS 5.2.1 is minor update, as evident from the version number. It is likely the last update before Apple introduces watchOS 6 beta at WWDC 2019. The release coincides with iOS 12.3, macOS Mojave 10.14.5 and tvOS 12.3. These updates are mostly focused on the new TV app updates that Apple announced during its March event. However, there doesn’t seem to be anything relevant to TV app that can be included in watchOS.
Despite the lack of updates, minor updates are still recommended for their under-the-hood improvements, performance enhancements and security bug fixes.
watchOS 5.2.1 beta 2
Released on April 8. Build number is 16U5091b.
watchOS 5.2.1 beta 1
Released to developers on March 28. No release notes provided by Apple.
To install watchOS 5.2.1, you would need an Apple Developer Center membership, which costs $99/year. This will allow you to download the installation profile.
- You cannot downgrade your Apple Watch once you install the developer beta.
- IF something goes wrong, you will have to send your Watch to Apple to restore.
- Make sure that your iPhone and Apple Watch have more than 50% battery charge.
- Keep your Apple Watch on its wireless charger throughout the installation process.
Now for the fun stuff:
- Open Apple Developer Center website on your iPhone in Safari and go to Downloads.
- Download the profile for watchOS 5.2.1 and tap Allow when iOS asks you for permission.
- Tap Apple Watch when you are asked to chose a device.
- Tap install on the next screen and enter your passcode.
- Your iPhone will restart to complete profile installation. Once it restarts, go to the Watch app and open General > Software Update. Wait for the update to appear and tap Download and Install.