tvOS 12 is now available for Apple TV 4 and 4K models. The new operating system contains a number of new features like zero sign-on, interactive aerial screensavers, password autofill and support for Home Control Systems. With tvOS 12, Apple TV finally gets support for Dolby Atmos. iOS 12 users will also get the TV remote automatically in their control center, should they have an Apple TV setup with their Apple ID. Here is how you can download and install the update on your Apple TV.
tvOS was introduced with the launch of the fourth generation Apple TV, with features like an App Store and Siri Remote. Thanks to third party apps like Netflix as well as Apple’s own iTunes and Apple Music libraries, Apple TV has become one of the most popular set-top boxes in the world. It even has a bunch of third-party apps and services that support live TV, which is a dream come true for cable cutters. With a 4K variant, as well as support for HDR and Dolby Vision, it is one of the best choices for consumers when it comes to consuming content on television.
What’s new in tvOS 12?
Apple has been rapidly adding new features to Apple TV’s operating system, tvOS. With this new major release, tvOS 12 has gained some useful new features. Here is a list of the new updates:
- Zero sign-on – this feature automatically detects the user’s broadband service and signs them on to compatible apps. This will supersede single sign-on for users with compatible cable service subscriptions.
- Interactive Aerial Screensavers – new space based screensavers at 4K quality are part of the new update. All screensavers are now interactive, which means that users can see the location at which the screensaver was captured.
- Dolby Atmos – support for this surround sound tech will be included in the update. Apple is also updating their iTunes movie library with Dolby Atmos support, with free movie upgrades for existing purchases.
- Password Autofill – users can now utilize iCloud Keychain to fill in passwords on Apple TV, via iOS devices.
- Home Control Systems – consumers with Control4, Crestron and Savant and other home control systems will be able to use Siri.
Despite these new features, Apple TV’s functionality is still limited outside of a few countries. TV app, Zero sign-on and Siri are only supported in a few regions across the world. It is easy to gain access to the TV app and Siri, by changing your region to the United States. However, Zero sign-on is something that requires support from cable services.
Upgrade to tvOS 12
Go to Settings > System > Software Updates > Update Software on your Apple TV, to download the new software. It will take some time to download and install, based on your Internet connection speed and Apple TV model. Once the download completes, your Apple TV will restart to complete the upgrade.