Apple has released the first tvOS 12.4 beta for Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K. The update is now available for registered developers as an over-the-air update, while a public beta will be released soon.
Apple recently released iOS 12.3 which had a number of new features. It had a new TV app with support for Channels like HBO, Showtime and more. The app also lets users browse and stream iTunes content, as well as content from 150 other video apps. There is also a Kids section as well as a Sports section to cater to different audiences. The new TV app is available in 100 countries, but only 6 countries have support for Channels for now.
Although Apple has released tvOS 12.3 to testers now, WWDC 2019 is just a couple of weeks away. It is expected that Apple will announced tvOS 13 at the event.
tvOS 12.3 beta
The first beta was released on 15 May. Build number is 16M5526d. Apple has not shared any release notes.
Installing tvOS 12.3 beta
To download and install tvOS 12.3 beta, make sure you have the following:
- Get an Apple Developer Account (costs $99/month) to download the configuration profile. You can also directly download the profile here.
- Xcode (latest version)
- Apple Configurator (latest version)
- Apple TV connected to the same WiFi network as your Mac
Once you have the above things in place, follow the below steps for installation:
- Make sure that you have download the configuration/developer profile, whether it’s form your Apple Developer Account or from the link shared above. Keep this profile on your desktop for easy access.
- Open Xcode on your Mac and go to Windows > Device & Simulators and don’t close it.
- On your Apple TV, go to Settings > Remotes and Devices. Click on Remote App and Devices.
- Once Apple TV discovers your Mac, click on Apple TV in Xcode Devices & Simulators that you opened in step 2. You will get a code on Apple TV, use that to pair Xcode with it.
- Open Apple Configurator, and click on your Apple TV. Drag the profile (from step 1) to the Apple TV icon in Apple Configurator to enroll it for developer beta updates.
- On your Apple TV, go to Settings > System > Software Update and click on Update Software to download tvOS 12.3 beta
Installing a tvOS public beta is way easier than installing a developer beta. Simply enable Get Beta Updates from Settings > System > Software Updates > Update Software.