Apple has released Safari 13 for macOS Mojave and macOS High Sierra. The new update ships with an updated start page, improved password security, ability to put a video in picture in picture mode from the browser tab, and more.
Apple has continued with the same clean Safari design that it has been using since some time now, so you might find it difficult to notice the new changes. The new start page now lets you collapse your list of favorite websites and give more screen space to your frequently visited websites. Users can also quickly jump to an already open website in the browser, if they put its URL in the address bar, instead of opening it again in a new tab. Apple has also made it easier to open videos in picture in picture mode, right from browser tabs.
If you are using macOS Mojave and cannot upgrade to macOS Catalina, you can download Safari 13 from System Preferences > Software Update. If you are using macOS High Sierra, you would need to go to Mac App Store > Updates tab to download the new update.
Here are the complete release notes by Apple:
The Safari 13 update contains feature improvements as well as privacy, security and compatibility enhancements and is recommended for all users. This update:
• Includes an updated start page with Favorites, frequently visited, and most recently visited websites
• Provides a warning if a weak password is typed when signing in to a website and helps to upgrade it to a strong password
• Adds the ability to enable Picture in Picture from the audio button in a tab
• Enables jumping directly to an already-open tab from the search completion list when the website address is typed into the Smart Search field
• Adds support for authentication using USB security keys on supported websites
For detailed information on the security content of this update, please visit: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222.
Safari 13 will also be shipping with macOS Catalina with all these new features. An additional feature in Safari on macOS Catalina will be Siri suggestions in the new start page. This feature will surface your bookmarks, iCloud tabs, reading list entries, and links from Messages in the new Start page. This feature does not seem to be available in Safari 13 for macOS Mojave and macOS High Sierra.
To use the new picture in picture option from tab, click and hold the volume button on any tab where a video is playing and you will see a menu, as per below screenshot. Click ‘Enter Picture in Picture’ to play the video in a small thumbnail on your desktop.