iOS 12 is now available for all compatible iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices. The new operating system is available as both an OTA update as well as an iTunes download. iOS 12 ships with much-needed performance improvements as well as updates to Photos, Camera, Messages, Notifications and other parts of the operating system. Other new features include Screen Time, for tracking and controlling device usage, and Siri Shortcuts, which is Apple’s integration of Workflow into their mobile OS. Here is how you can download and update to the latest iOS update on your smartphone or tablet.
What’s new in iOS 12?
There are far too many new features in this release to sum up in a few lines, so check out our in-depth coverage of iOS 12 features. However, for a quick summary, here is what you should expect:
- Improved performance. Up to 2x app launch performance, improved keyboard responsiveness and 70% faster camera responsiveness. This will benefit devices as old as iPad Air and iPhone 5s.
- Siri is smarter than ever and can search for stats from motorsports, reply to food and celebrity questions, search for passwords in iCloud Keychain and much more.
- Siri Shortcuts is Apple’s rebranded version of Workflow, the popular productivity app that they purchased last year. It is not deeply integrated into iOS 12. Siri also suggests Shortcuts automatically in Spotlight or on the lock screen, which are very useful.
- Memoji are customizable avatars that you can setup to look just like you. These work with iPhone X and above, as they rely on the TrueDepth camera. There are also new Animojis. Both Memoji and Animojis now support 30-second videos.
- Camera effects. Now you can use Animoji, Memoji as well as various stickers and filters during photo iMessage photo capture as well as FaceTime video calls.
- Screen Time lets you keep track of your device usage and limit your consumption. It also has helpful parental controls to tack and control kid’s device usage.
- Notifications. iOS 12 supports group notifications (finally!), as well as granular control over them, right from the lock screen.
- Updated apps: Apple Books (previously iBooks), Apple News, Stocks, and Voice Memos have received some nice design makeovers and feature updates.
iOS 12 Compatible Devices
The following devices can be upgraded:
- iPhone 5s and above
- iPad Air and above
- All iPad Pro models
- iPad mini 2 and above
- iPod touch 6th generation
Update to iOS 12
Before upgrading, make sure that you backup your iPhone or iPad via iCloud backup or iTunes. While it is safe to upgrade to iOS 12, a backup is always helpful in case there’s any issue.
Upgrade device via OTA update
- Make sure that your device has at least 50% battery capacity and is connected to WiFi.
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update on your device and wait for the new version to show up.
- Once it appears, tap on Download and Install. The process might take some time, depending on your device and Internet connection speed.
Upgrade via iTunes
- Update to the latest version of iTunes.
- Connect your device to your Mac or Windows PC, open iTunes and click on your device in the sidebar.
- Click Summary and click on the Check for Update button.
- When the update shows up, click Download and Update. Enter your device passcode if asked.
iOS 12 Download Files (IPSW firmware)
Click on any of the supported device names below to download its iOS 12 IPSW file, which can be used for clean installation via iTunes. (updating)
- iPhone 5s
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone X
- iPod touch (6th generation)
- iPad mini 2
- iPad mini 3
- iPad mini 4
- iPad Air
- iPad Air 2
- 2017 iPad
- 2018 iPad
- iPad Pro (9.7‑inch)
- iPad Pro (10.5-inch)
- iPad Pro (12.9-inch, 1st gen)
- iPad Pro (12.9-inch, 2nd gen)