Apple has released iOS 12.4.1 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. The update is minor and just contains 2 security fixes, aimed at the new vulnerabilities that were being utilized by Unc0ver jailbreak tool. The tool took advantage of a security vulnerability which Apple had already fixed before iOS 12.4, but somehow removed it when releasing iOS 12.4. This allowed jailbreakers to take advantage of this rare blunder by Apple and release an updated jailbreak tool.
iOS 12.4.1 Release Notes
These are the official release notes for iOS 12.4.1:
iOS 12.4.1 provides important security and stability updates, and is recommended for all users.
Apple’s security fixes page lists the following:
Available for: iPhone 5s and later, iPad Air and later, and iPod touch 6th generation
Impact: A malicious application may be able to execute arbitrary code with system privileges
Description: A use after free issue was addressed with improved memory management.
CVE-2019-8605: Ned Williamson working with Google Project Zero
We would like to acknowledge @Pwn20wnd for their assistance.
Download iOS 12.4.1
- Make sure that your device has at least 50% battery charge, before you try to upgrade your device.
- To upgrade your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to iOS 12.4.1, go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- Wait for the update to show and tap on Download and Install.
Your device might restart a few times during the update process.
Alternatively, you can also directly download the IPSW files from the below links, in case you want to restore them to your iOS device using iTunes.
- iPhone 5s
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone X
- iPhone XR
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPod touch (6th generation)
- iPod touch (7th generation)
- iPad Air 1
- iPad Air 2
- iPad (5th generation) 9.7-inch (2017)
- iPad (6th generaiton) 9.7-inch (2018)
- iPad Air 10.5-inch (2019)
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st generation)
- iPad Pro 9.7‑inch
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro 11-inch
- iPad mini (2nd generation)
- iPad mini (3rd generation)
- iPad mini (4th generation)
- iPad mini (5th generation)
Apple is currently beta testing iOS 13 and iPadOS with developers and public beta testers. The new updates will ship with a new dark mode, updates to Safari, Notes, Reminders and other apps, enhancements to iPad home screen and multitasking and much more. These updates will be released to all users in September.
Apple has also released macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Supplemental Update, watchOS 5.3.1 and tvOS 12.4.1.