Apple has released iOS 12.3 with a brand new TV app with channels, AirPlay 2 and Siri updates for connectivity with TVs along with fixes for Apple News and Apple Music. The update is available now for all compatible iOS devices as over-the-air updates as well as over iTunes.
Previously, Apple had released iOS 12.2 with updates for the Remote app so it works with TVs with AirPlay 2 support. Safari, Maps, Animojis, Wallet and Screen Time also received some updates. Apple also included News+ in this release.
With iOS 12.3, Apple continued focus on improving connectivity and functionality between iOS devices and AirPlay 2 enabled TVs. Apple also released a brand new TV app, which was announced during Apple’s TV event in March. The build had been in beta testing for some while and Apple just released it today for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
The TV was previously available in only a few markets. With iOS 12.3, Apple has made the TV app available in over 100 countries and also added support for channels, which can be used for on-demand content from the likes of HBO, Showtime and more. Note that despite availability in 100 countries, channels are only available in 10 countries.
iOS 12.3 features and changes
Here is the complete list of new features and updates in iOS 12.3:
iOS 12.3 includes support for AirPlay 2-enabled TVs and features a redesigned Apple TV app. This update also includes bug fixes and improvements.
– AirPlay 2 now supports sharing videos, photos, music and more from your iPhone and iPad directly to your AirPlay2-enabled smart TV
– One tap playback automatically plays your chosen TV show or movie on the last screen you used based on time and location
– Siri Suggestions to watch movies and TV shows now include an option to AirPlay
– Intelligent suggestions are all done on-device so your personal information stays private
Apple TV app
– The Apple TV app features an all new design that highlights expertly curated collections and personalized recommendations
– Apple TV channels offer subscriptions to HBO, Showtime, Starz, and more, available to watch directly in the Apple TV app, online or off
– Subscriptions to Apple TV channels can be shared with up to six family members, with no new apps, accounts, or passwords needed
– New release movies are available to buy or rent in the Apple TV app, including the full catalog of 100,000+ movies and the largest selection of 4K HDR titles
– A new dedicated kids section helps you discover editorially-handpicked shows and movies safe for kids of all ages
– The Apple TV app can now intelligently suggest playing to the most likely Apple TVs or AirPlay 2-enabled TVs nearby
This update also includes bug fixes and improvements. This update:
– Adds the ability to follow a magazine from the Apple News+ catalog browsing view
– Apple Music’s For You tab now updates multiple times a day suggesting music based on themes like genres, artists, and moods you love
– Fixes an issue that could prevent Apple TV Remote from pausing video, controlling video, or changing volume on supported receivers
– Addresses an issue that could cause calls made using Wi-Fi calling to drop
– Fixes an issue where song information from a connected iPhone may not appear in a car’s display
Installing iOS 12.3
To download and install the new update, head over to General > Settings > Software Update to download the update wirelessly to your iOS device.
The update is also available via iTunes. Connect your iOS device to your Mac or Windows PC with the latest version of iTunes and wait for the update to appear.