Apple has released iOS 12.1.1 with expanded dual SIM support, haptic touch for notifications in iPhone XR, FaceTime Live Photos, improvements to FaceTime camera switching and other stability and bug fixes. The update is now available over-the-air for all compatible iPhone, iPad and iPod touch models. We are also adding the IPSW download links to this post in case you want to do a clean install.
Apple had been beta testing iOS 12.1.1 since some time. The biggest improvements in this release are aimed at FaceTime which was previously missing Live Photo capture in iOS 12. Apple has also made it simpler to switch between front and rear cameras in FaceTime, which required a number of taps before.
Apple has also included updates for HomePod in this release. The update includes support for China and Hong Kong, and also HomePod LED illumination for Group FaceTime calls.
The previous release was iOS 12.1 which included Group FaceTime, 70 new emojis, Dual SIM support, Depth control, Beautygate fix and more.
iOS 12.1.1 release notes
Here are the complete release notes from Apple for iOS 12.1.1:
iOS 12.1.1 adds features and fixes bugs for your iPhone and iPad. Features and improvements include:
– Notification preview using haptic touch on iPhone XR
– Dual SIM with eSIM for additional carriers on iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max
– One tap to flip between the rear and front-facing camera during a FaceTime call
– Live Photo capture during one-to-one FaceTime calls
– The option to hide the sidebar in News on iPad in landscape orientation
– Real-time text (RTT) when using Wi-Fi calling on iPad and iPod touch
– Stability improvements for dictation and VoiceOver
Bug fixes include:
– Fixes an issue where Face ID may temporarily become unavailable
– Addresses an issue that prevented visual voicemail from downloading for some customers
– Fixes an issue in Messages that could prevent predictive text suggestions when typing on the Chinese or Japanese keyboards
– Addresses an issue that could prevent Voice Memos recordings from uploading to iCloud
– Fixes an issue where time zones may not have updated automatically
This release also adds features and fixes bugs for HomePod including:
– Support in Mainland China and Hong Kong
– HomePod LEDs illuminate during Group FaceTime calls
Information on security fixes is available on Apple’s website.
iOS 12.1.1 Compatible Devices
The following devices are compatible with iOS 12.1.1:
- iPhone 5s and above
- iPad Air and above
- All iPad Pro models
- iPad mini 2 and above
- iPod touch 6th generation
Upgrade to iOS 12.1.1
As always, make sure you backup you date using either iCloud Backup or iTunes, just to be safe.
Via OTA update
- Make sure that your iOS device has at least 50% battery charge and is connected to WiFi.
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update and wait for the iOS 12.1.1 to show.
- Tap Download and Install and wait for the process to complete.
Upgrade via iTunes
- Makes sure that you have the latest version of iTunes on your Mac or Windows PC.
- Connect your iOS device to your computer using a USB cable, open iTunes and click on your device in the sidebar.
- Click Summary and then click Check for Update button.
- When the update shows up, click Download and Update. Enter your device passcode if asked.
Download iOS 12.1.1 IPSW files
- iPhone 5s
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone X
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR
- iPod touch (6th generation)
- iPad mini 2
- iPad mini 3
- iPad mini 4
- iPad Air
- iPad Air 2
- 2017 iPad
- 2018 iPad
- iPad Pro (9.7‑inch)
- iPad Pro (10.5-inch)
- iPad Pro (11-inch)
- iPad Pro (12.9-inch, 1st gen)
- iPad Pro (12.9-inch, 2nd gen)
- iPad Pro (12.9-inch, 3rd gen)