Apple has released tvOS 12 GM (Golden Master) to developers, for Apple TV 4 and 4K models. tvOS 12 will be released to public on September 17, with new features like zero sign-on, interactive aerial screensavers, support for third-party control systems, password autofill via iOS devices, and Dolby Atmos. This last addition in iOS 12 makes Apple TV the only set-top box with both Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. If you are technically savvy, here is how you can download and install tvOS 12 GM on your Apple TV.
If you already already using an existing tvOS 12 developer beta, simply go to Settings > System > Software Update on your Apple TV, and click on Update Software. This will update your box to the GM build. If you do not have a developer beta installed, follow our guide below.
Before we start, make sure you have the following:
- Apple Developer Account (costs $99/month) to download the configuration profile. You can also directly download the profile here.
- Xcode (latest version)
- Apple Configurator (latest version)
- Apple TV setup and connected to same WiFi network as your Mac
Download tvOS 12 GM using Developer Profile
- Make sure that you have download the configuration/developer profile, whether it’s form your Apple Developer Account or from the link shared above. Keep this profile on your desktop for easy access.
- Open Xcode on your Mac and go to Windows > Device & Simulators and don’t close it.
- On your Apple TV, go to Settings > Remotes and Devices. Click on Remote App and Devices.
- Once Apple TV discovers your Mac, click on Apple TV in Xcode Devices & Simulators that you opened in step 2. You will get a code on Apple TV, use that to pair Xcode with it.
- Open Apple Configurator, and click on your Apple TV. Drag the profile (from step 1) to the Apple TV icon in Apple Configurator to enroll it for developer beta updates.
- On your Apple TV, go to Settings > System > Software Update and click on Update Software to download the tvOS 12 GM update.