A new iOS 11.0 jailbreak called unc0ver was released recently. Unc0ver lets users jailbreak iOS 11.0 and iOS 11.4 beta 3 on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. The tool is available for both macOS and Windows. Here is how you can use unc0ver to jailbreak your iOS device.
Housekeeping before jailbreaking iOS device
Before we begin, here are some precautions to take care of:
- Make sure that you back up your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch using iCloud or iTunes
- Ensure that your device has sufficient battery charge
- Download the latest version of Cydia Impactor from cydiaimpactor.com
Is your device compatible with unc0ver jailbreak?
This is a list of compatible devices, which can be jailbroken as long as they are on iOS 11.0 to iOS 11.4 beta 3. Note that iOS 11.4 final version and above are not supported.
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone X
- iPod touch (6th generation)
- iPad mini 2
- iPad mini 3
- iPad mini 4
- iPad Air
- iPad Air 2
- 2017 iPad
- 2018 iPad
- iPad Pro (9.7‑inch)
- iPad Pro (10.5-inch)
- iPad Pro (12.9-inch, 1st gen)
- iPad Pro (12.9-inch, 2nd gen)
Jailbreak iOS 11.0 – iOS 11.4 beta 3 with unc0ver
Now that you have gone through the mandatory checks, download the latest version of unc0ver from Github. This is an IPA file that will be installed on your iOS device using Cydia Impactor. Cydia Impactor is available for Windows, Mac and Linux. Now we move on to the next steps:
- Install Cydia Impactor on your computer and connect your iOS device to it using a Lighting cable.
- Open Cydia Impactor and it should detect a connection to your iOS device.
- Drag the unc0ver IPA, that was downloaded from Github, to Cydia Impactor.
- You will be asked for your Apple ID credentials because Cydia Impactor will sign the IPA to install it on your iOS device. This is safe so enter your credentials and click start.
- When the process is complete, go to Settings > Profiles & Device Management. You will see a new configuration profile with your Apple ID’s name. Open it and tap trust. Enter your PIN code if your iOS device asks you for it and tap trust again.
- At this stage, enable AirPlane Mode and disable Siri. This is recommended to avoid any issues. This is temporary and the options can be re-enabled later.
- Restart your iOS device.
- After your device boots again, open the unc0ver app on your iOS home screen and tap the Jailbreak button. This is the step that will actually jailbreak your device. Let this process complete and if something doesn’t work, you can always start again from step 1. Always make sure to use the latest version of unc0ver as it will likely have bug fixes.
To verify if the jailbreak is successful, look for Cydia on your iOS home screen. Open and it should refresh all data, which should confirm that the jailbreak was successful.
Got any questions? Post in the comments below!