Microsoft has started the global roll-out of Windows 10 May 2019 Update version 1903. As with all major Windows 10 updates, Microsoft rolls out the updates gradually while monitoring for bugs and any other blocking issues on different types of hardware. If an issue is found on a particular type of hardware or software, Microsoft can block the updates for such machines until they patch the issue. If you are not seeing the Download and Install Now button in Windows Update yet, this could be one of the reasons. However, if you are technically savvy and love to live on the bleeding edge of software updates, here is how you can jump the queue and get Windows 10 May 2019 Update right now.
Windows 10 May 2019 Update has a number of new features like a beautiful new light theme, Windows Sandbox, Reserved Storage, changes to how Windows Update works and much more. We will be covering all these features in-depth over the next few days.
Obviously, the best way to get the new Windows 10 May 2019 update is by waiting for it to be available for your device and then using Windows Update to install it. This is the most (relatively) safest way to get the update. However, if you can back up your device and are willing to face the bugs that can sometimes create issues for early adopters, here are two ways to get the update. It is recommended that you take a back up your desktop, laptop or tablet, before following any of the below methods.
How to upgrade to Windows 10 May 2019 Update using Update Assistant
- Download the Update Assistant tool from Microsoft.
- Run the tool, it’ll be a file called Windows10Upgrade.
- The tool will check if your PC is compatible.
- Click Update Now to start the download and installation process.
The process will take some time so don’t worry if the process seems stuck at a specific stage. The tool will update your PC to version 1903, while keeping your files and settings intact.
How to upgrade to Windows 10 May 2019 Update using Media Creation Tool
Alternatively, you can also use Microsoft’s Media Creation Tool to force update to Windows 10 version 1903. This tool not only supports upgrading the OS, but it also lets users creation installation media, for example a bootable Window 10 USB drive
- Download the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft by clicking Download tool now.
- Run the download file. It will have the name MediaCreationTool1903.exe.
- Accept the terms and agreements.
- Select Upgrade this PC now, and click Next.
- Make sure to select Keep personal files and apps on the next screen when it asks you ‘Chose what to keep’, so you don’t lose any data or settings.
- Click Install.
Once the download completes, the installation process will begin. It might take a while and your PC will restart during the process. All your files and settings will be there after the upgrade process completes.