Apple announced watchOS 5 GM for developers, while the public version will be available on September 17. Here is how you can download and install the GM build right now on your Apple Watch.
If you already have an existing watchOS 5 developer build installed, go to Watch app on your iPhone and head to General > Software Update to download the GM build. If you do not have an existing beta installed, follow the guide below.
The GM build is only available for Apple Watch users who have the developer beta on their watch. watchOS 5 ships with new features which include an improved Siri watchface, with support for third party apps, support for Siri Shortcuts, a new communication app called Walkie-Talkie, a new Podcasts App, improved notifications (like iOS 12) and much more.
Download watchOS 5 GM using Developer Profile
To download and install watchOS 5, you would need an Apple Developer Account. The account costs $99/month and gives you the configuration profile that you need to install the test build. Alternatively, you can also download watchOS 5 beta profile from here.
Before we get started, here are some important things:
- Make sure that your Apple Watch is charged more than 50% and placed on its charger
- Make sure that your iPhone is also charged enough so that it can download the update
- Make sure that you have a strong and stable Internet connection
- Keep WiFi and Bluetooth enabled on your devices
Now starts the fun part.
- On your iPhone, which is synced to your Apple watch, open Safari and login to your Apple Developer account.
- Go to Download and under Featured Downloads, scroll down till you find watchOS 5 GM Seed.
- Tap on the blue Download button.
- You will get a pop-up which tells you that the website is trying to show a configuration profile. Tap Allow.
- Next, when you see Choose a Device, tap on Apple Watch.
- You will be taken to Settings where you have to tap install and enter your iPhone PIN code, if you have setup one.
- Now that profile is installed, go to Watch app > General > Software Update and wait for the developer update to appear. Tap Download and Install and the process will start.
At this time, it’s best to go for a coffee break because the update can take a long time. First, the iPhone will download the update, and transfer it to your Watch. After that, the installation process begins on the Watch and that takes some time. Once the installation completes, your Watch should turn on and show your watch face to confirm update completion.