Apple has released the iOS 12 developer beta 7 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. The new build number is 16A5354b and it is 361.6 MB in size for iPhone X. Here is how you can download and install the new beta on your iOS device.
There are a few ways to upgrade to the new beta: If you are already on an iOS 12 developer beta, go to Settings > General > Software Update on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to upgrade. If you do not have a developer beta installed, you can register for an Apple Developer account and download it to your device.
Disclaimer: this is a developer beta and might have bugs. Many features might not work properly so try and install on a secondary device.
Backup iOS device
Before we proceed, back up your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch using either of the following methods:
- iTunes: Connect your device to a Windows PC or Mac, which should have the latest version of iTunes installed, and back up your device. Remember to enable ‘Encrypt iPhone backup’ if you use Health and Activity apps, else data from these apps will not be part of the back up.
- iCloud: Go to Settings > Apple ID > iCloud and tap on iCloud Backup. Tap on Back up now to start iCloud backup.
Download and install iOS 12 beta 7
- Assuming that you have an Apple Developer Center membership, login to Apple Developer Center. If you do not have a developer account, you can download the iOS 12 beta profile from here and skip to step 4.
- To download the configuration file, go to Downloads in Safari on your iPhone or iPad, login and look for iOS 12 beta. Tap on the blue Download button and a dialogue box will open and request permission, tap Allow. If you clicked on the direct profile download link in step 1, you will still get this message and you would have to tap on Allow.
- If an Apple Watch is paired to your iPhone, iOS will ask where you want to install the profile. Tap on iPhone and you will be taken to Install Profile screen. Tap Install and enter your iPhone passcode. Restart your device to complete profile installation.
- After the restart, go to Settings > General > Software Update and wait for iOS 12 developer beta to appear. Tap Download and Install and get some coffee as this will take some time. Make sure that your device has sufficient battery remaining so that it doesn’t lose power during the download and upgrade process. Once the whole process completes, you will have iOS 12 on your device.
Alternatively, you can also download an iOS 12 restore image for your device from Apple Developer Center and use iTunes to restore it to your iPhone or iPad. Just make sure to backup your device as restoring will delete all data from your device.
Update: Apple has pulled the release due to performance issues, as reported by many beta users.
Update 2: Apple has released iOS 12 beta 8, which replaces beta 7.