Apple has released the sixth developer beta for iOS 12 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch. The new update has the build number 16A5345f and is around 450.1 MB in size for iPhone X.
If you already have a developer beta installed, simply go to Settings > General > Software Update on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to upgrade. If you do not have a developer beta installed, here is how you can download and install it on your device. A word of warning: this is a developer beta and not final quality software. Therefore, it might have bugs that might result in data loss and many features might not work properly. If possible, install and test the beta on a secondary device and not on your daily driver. You might want to wait for iOS 12 public beta instead, which would have better stability than early developer betas.
Backup iOS device
A wise person always backs up an iOS device before upgrading. One may choose either of the below methods for backing up:
- iTunes: Connect your iOS device to a Windows PC or Mac, with the latest version of iTunes, and back up your device. Make sure that you enable the option to ‘Encrypt iPhone backup’ if you use Health and Activity apps, otherwise data from these apps will not be backed up.
- iCloud: Go to Settings > Apple ID > iCloud and tap on iCloud Backup. Make sure that it is enabled, and tap on Back up now.
Download iOS 12 beta 6 from Apple Developer Center
To install iOS 12 developer beta, you would need an Apple Developer membership. You can get one by going to Apple’s Developer Center. The membership costs $99/year and grants you access to Apple’s developer tools, beta releases and SDKs. Once you create the account, follow the below steps to install the configuration profile on your iOS device and download the beta.
- Login to Apple Developer Center.
- Once logged in, go to Downloads. From here, you can download the configuration file to enroll your device to receive developer beta updates.
- To download the configuration file, open Downloads in Safari on iPhone or iPad, login and look for iOS 12 beta. Tap Download as per the screenshot below. A dialogue box will open and request permission, tap Allow.
- If you have an Apple Watch paired with your iPhone, iOS will ask where you want to install the profile. Select iPhone and you will be taken to the Install Profile screen. Tap Install on the top right corner and enter your passcode. You will need to restart your device to complete profile installation.
- After your device restarts, go to Settings > General > Software Update on your device and wait for iOS 12 developer beta to show up. Tap on Download and Install and let the update download. This might take a while and your device might restart a few times.
You can also download the iOS 12 restore image for your device from Apple Developer Center and use iTunes to restore it to your iPhone or iPad. Make sure that you backup your device as restoring the firmware image will delete all data from your device.
Update: Apple has also released the iOS 12 public beta 5. You can download it by following our guide here.