Apple has released iOS 12.2, macOS 10.14.4, and tvOS 12.2 to all users today. The release of these operating system updates comes right after Apple’s ‘It’s show time’ event, where they announced their new news, gaming and Apple TV services. Read more to find out what’s new in these OS updates.
Apple had been testing these software updates since the end of January. While watchOS, tvOS and macOS did not receive any major changes, iOS received a number of new updates.
This new update brings a number of updates related to Apple’s push into services. Here’s a summary of the major new features and changes:
- The remote app has been updated to work better with Apple TV and TVs by other companies which would support the TV app and AirPlay 2.
- Remote app has a new icon in Control Center.
- Forward and backward skip controls are back in Remote.
- New volume controls in AirPlay UI.
- HomeKit has also been updated to support these televisions.
- Safari shows a ‘not secure’ message in address bar for HTTP websites.
- Safari shows arrows in autocomplete results for quick search query updates.
- Maps now show air quality index.
- Apple News app has been updated with support for News+, as well as a new icon.
- New Animojis: Giraffe, Shark, Owl and Warthog.
- Wallet UI has been updated with some refinements.
- Downtime schedule in Screen Time now supports customizing days.
- Users can now see their iOS Apple Care status as well as purchase Apple Care right from their device’s About screen.
- Quality for voice messages has been improved.
- Logitech Crayon stylus now works with iPad Pro.
You can see the full list of changes here.
Here’s how you can update your device to iOS 12.2:
Over the air:
Connect your iOS device to Wi-Fi and make sure that you have more than 50% battery charge.
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update on your iOS device and wait for the update to show up.
- Tap Download and Install.
You can also enable automatic updates on this screen to download future updates automatically.
Connect your iOS device to your Mac or Windows PC using a USB cable. Open iTunes and click on the phone icon on the top left. Below Summary, click Check for Update. Once the update shows up, click Download and Update.
iTunes will backup your devices and then download and install the update to it.
macOS gets just a few new features in this release:
- Safari Autofill now supports Touch ID.
- Safari supports automatic dark mode for websites.
- Apple News and News+ are now available in US and in Canada in English and French.
To upgrade your Mac:
- Go to System Preferences > Software Update
- When the update shows up, click Update Now.
Check out the detailed change log for macOS 10.14.4 here.
Edit: watchOS 5.2 final version is not out yet.
Edit 2: watchOS 5.2 is out now.
The only noticeable update in watchOS 5.2 is the addition of new Hermès watch faces. For more details, check our change log here.
To update your Apple Watch (only Series 1 and above):
- Go to General > Software Update in the Watch app on your iPhone
- Tap Download and Install when the update appears.
Make sure that your watch is placed on the charger throughout the update process.
tvOS only received some under-the-hood updates. To update your Apple TV 4 and 4K model:
- Go to Settings > System > Software Updates on your Apple TV and select Update Software