Apple has released iOS 12.1.2 with fixes for eSIM activation and cellular connectivity. The update is now available over-the-air only for iPhones. It is widely speculated that the release was aimed at addressing issues with regards to the Qualcomm patents in question in a legal battle in China. iOS 12.1.2 only had one beta release last week, while the previous stable release was iOS 12.1.1 which was available for all iOS devices.
What’s new in iOS 12.1.2?
Apple had released the first and only iOS 12.1.2 developer and public beta builds last week. It is rare for Apple to release an iOS update after just 1 beta build. Many sources claim that this has something to do with Apple’s ongoing legal battle against Qualcomm and an iOS update would be released to resolve patent related issues. However, Qualcomm says that Apple still violates Chinese court’s orders, despite the iOS update.
Here is the change log from Apple for iOS 12.1.2:
- Fixes bugs with eSIM activation for iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max
- Addresses an issue that could affect cellular connectivity in Turkey for iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max
The previous update, iOS 12.1.1, included haptic feedback for notifications on iPhone XR, expanded Dual SIM/eSIM carrier support, brought back Live Photo capture in FaceTime calls, improved camera flip UI in FaceTime calls and much more.
Update (via MacRumors): For Chinese users, the release notes contain more details, which confirm that the release was rushed due to the legal battle between Apple and Qualcomm.
iOS 12.1.2 includes iPhone bug fixes. This update:
– Fixes bugs with eSIM activation for iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max
– Addresses an issue that could affect cellular connectivity in Turkey for iPhone XR, iPhone XS, and iPhone XS Max
– Introduces a new animation when force closing apps
– Updates share sheet for setting contact and wallpaper images
Here is how the new animation works when you force close apps:
Apart from users in China, the animation remains unchanged for everyone else.
iOS 12.1.2 Compatible Devices
- iPhone 5s and above
iPad and iPod touch have not received iOS 12.1.2 update so far
iOS 12.1.2 Download Links
These are the download links for iOS 12.1.2 firmware files, directly from Apple’s servers.
- iPhone 5s
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 7
- iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone X
- iPhone XS
- iPhone XS Max
- iPhone XR